Automated Clearing House (ACH)
ACH is an electronic payment method for Customs fees, duties, and taxes.
Normally for advances of customs duties, a Customs broker will bill the importer for the amount of duty paid, or for higher figures require a separate check payable to Customs.
The benefits of the program for the importer:
- Paperless, consolidated processing of import duty payments.
- Reduced administrative & clerical expenses to process duty checks and for check problems or errors.
- Direct debit with a two-day float after pay date. Enhanced cash flow control by identifying exact date of allocations.
- Direct accounting for import duty overhead. Other landed cost items usually be covered under the Customs broker’s invoice.
- Improved access to the Customs automated environment.
- 10 day clock applies to quota & other special class entries, extending the importer’s payment liability clock and speeding the release of cargo.
- Benefits apply to entries in all ports of entry, so the importer may use the assigned payer number with all Customs brokers.
- Avoid fines for late payments.